ENVIRO-NEWS January 1998

Vacancy Announcement - 98-063.htm (fwd) (Soil Science)

Joseph Makuch <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Jan 1998 14:07:24 -0500 (EST)

TEXT/PLAIN

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 09:15:08 -0800
Forwarded from:
http://www.ars.usda.gov/afm/hrd/vacancy/98-063.htm

>                          THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF
>                         AGRICULTURE IS AN EQUAL
>                          OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.

>                   RESEARCH, EDUCATION, AND ECONOMICS
>
>                    Cooperative State Research,
                     Education, and Extension Service

>                          VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
>
>         Position Title: National Program Leader (Soil Science)
>
>                       Series/Grade: GS-401-14/15
>
>                       Promotion Potential: GS-15
>
>    Salary: GS-14, beginning at $64,555 per annum
             GS-15, beginning at $75,935 per annum

> [...]
>    science.
>
>   Specifically, the incumbent has responsibility for soil science and
>   other natural resources issues which involve determining research and
>   educational needs and program design in support of contemporary soil
>   management, soil conservation, soil microbiology, soil classification,
>   soil chemistry, soil physics, and other soil and/or natural resources
>   issues. Included among these issues are soil quality and sustain
>   ability, soil and water conservation, riparian area management, water
>   quality, air quality, and renewable resources public education, range
>   sustain ability, wetlands protection, and agro-forestry.
>
>   The many and varied programs within the purview of the incumbent are
>   of national importance, and in some cases, have international
>   significance. The extensive recommendations of the incumbent are
>   highly significant as they contribute to the establishment of Agency
>   goals and priorities within the framework of national agricultural
>   needs. The incumbent recommends commitment of resources having direct
>   effect on the initiation, conduct, strengthening, extension, and
>   termination of complex programs. Performance of the duties and
>   responsibilities requires a high level of subject-matter expertise and
>   leadership capability typically demonstrated by national recognition
>   in the natural resources and water quality fields.
>
>   QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have successfully completed a
>   four-year course of study in an accredited college or university
>   leading to a bachelor's or higher degree with major study in
>   biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management,
>   chemistry, economics, or related disciplines appropriate to the
>   position or a combination of education and experience equivalent to
>   the courses listed above plus appropriate experience or additional
>   education.
>
>  In addition to meeting the basic qualification requirements,
>  candidates must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to
>  the next lower grade in the Federal Service.
>
>  Specialized experience is experience which is in or related to the
>  level or work of this position which has equipped the applicant with
>  the specific knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform
>  the duties of the position. In particular, the following knowledge are
>  required by this position:
>
>     *    Knowledge of soil quality issues
>
>     *    Knowledge of soil management, conservation, and precision
>          agriculture.

>  APPLICANTS WILL BE EVALUATED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS,
>  AND ABILITIES (KSA'S) IN TERMS OF THEIR WORK EXPERIENCE, AND
>  PERFORMANCE RATINGS.
>
>  Quality Ranking Factors: The following factors will determine who is
>  best qualified. A SPECIFIC RESPONSE TO EACH FACTOR IS REQUIRED.
>
>  1.    Ability to plan, implement, and coordinate research and
>        extension programs and publish scholarly results pertaining to
         various soil science issues (i.e., soil - management, conservation,
>        classification, chemistry, physics, and soil microbiology).
>
>  2.    Ability to develop program goals and priorities and provide
>        program direction, guidance, and leadership (including
         determining and adjusting resource needs).

>  3.    Ability to coordinate programs, activities, and disciplines
>        among other USDA agencies, Federal Departments, State land-grant
>        universities, and private organizations.
>
>  4.    Knowledge of public programs and policies related to soil
>        science and other natural resources issues.
>
>                         APPLICATION INFORMATION
>
>   HOW TO APPLY: Send a resume, curriculum vitae, SF-171, or Optional
>   Application for Federal Employment, OF-612, to the Contact address.
>   The following information is needed to evaluate applicant
>   qualifications and to determine if applicants meet legal requirements
>   for Federal employment:
>
>    .    Announcement number, title, and grade(s)
>
>    .    Full name, mailing address (including zip code) and day and
>         evening phone numbers (with area code)
>
>    .    Social security number
>
>    .    U.S. citizenship is required
>
>    .    Veterans' Preference
>
>    .    Highest Federal civilian grade held (if applicable)
>
>    .    Highest education level achieved. Specify:
>         -    Name, city, state, zip code (if known)
>         -    Date or expected date (month/year) of completion of degree
>              requirements
>         -    Type of degree received
>         -    Graduates of foreign universities must include proof of
>              foreign education equivalency to an accredited U.S.
               college/university
> [...]
>             documentation identifying you as surplus;
>        -    evidence of full performance level of current position;
>        -    a copy of their most recent performance appraisal; and
>        -    a copy of their most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel
>             Action, to verify reassignment eligibility.
>
>   * Well -qualified means the applicant meets the basic qualification
>     and eligibility requirements and all selective factors, is rated above
>     minimally qualified against the knowledge, skills, and abilities or
>     quality criteria, and is able to satisfactorily perform the duties of
>     the position upon entry.
>
> .    Current Federal employees must submit their most recent
>      performance appraisal.
>
> .    Applicants with Federal reinstatement eligibility should submit
>      an SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, to verify reinstatement
>      eligibility.
>
> .    Male applicants over age 18 who were born after December 31,
>      1959, must have registered with the Selective Service System (or have
>      an exemption) to be eligible for a Federal job.
>
> .     If applications do not contain all of the requested information,
>       applicants may lose consideration for the job.
>
> .     If applicants make a false statement in any part of their
>       application, they may not be hired; may be fired after they begin
>       work; or may be fined or jailed.
>
> .     Applicants will not be notified of the status of their
>       pplication until a final selection has been made.
>
>  .    Applications submitted via Government envelopes, Government FAX
>       machines, or electronic mail will not be accepted.
>
>  .     APPLICATIONS MUST BE
>                           [X] POSTMARKED
>                           [ ] RECEIVED
>        BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT.
>
>   SPECIAL HIRING AUTHORITIES: Special hiring authorities may apply to
>   disabled individuals, former Peace Corps, Vista, action cooperatives,
>   volunteers, VRA eligibles, and 30 percent disabled veterans.
>
>    VETERANS' PREFERENCE: If applicants served on active duty in the
>    United States military and were separated under honorable conditions,
>    they may be eligible for veterans' preference. If their service began
>    after October 15, 1976, applicants must have a Campaign Badge,
>    Expeditionary Medal, or a service-connected disability. To claim
>    5-point veterans' preference, applicants must attach a copy of their
>    DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or other
>    proof of eligibility. To claim 10-point veterans' preference, attach
>    an SF-15, Application for 10- Point Veterans Preference, plus the
>    documentation required by that form. For further details, call the
>    U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) at 912-757-3000. Select
>    "Federal Employment Topics" and then "Veterans." Or, dial OPM's
>    electronic bulletin board at 912-757-3100.
>
>                                CONTACT:
>
>             For application forms, write to, visit or call:
>
>                  USDA-REE-ARS-Human Resources Division
>             Recruitment, Examining and Demonstration Staff

The National Agricultural Library hosts this Listserv. The views, opinions,
and validity of information are the responsibility of the original sender.
To review our listserv policy, go to http://www.nal.usda.gov/listserv.html